Monday, December 13, 2010

Computer Safe Guards


On 1st July 2010, after the 2nd semester ended I got my new computer as I finished my grade 9. As I didn’t have any internet connection I thought I’ll not get any virus so I didn’t install any antivirus software or any anti spyware software. So on the next day I went to my friends place to tell him that I got a new computer and get some good 3d game from him. He used to download games from internet and save it on portable storage device. He gave me his best games downloaded ever to try it on my computer and see the graphics as I had the best graphics card of that time. After I went home without thinking anything I plugged in the portable storage device and copied everything he had. I saw him formatting the storage device for me so I didn’t think about any virus to transfer. Some of the games worked fine on my computer except FIFA 11 which had an autorun.exe file corrupted. So I thought It can be the up loaders fault. I avoided the game and played rest of the game for the whole day. I was having a great time next day with my friends at a mall so I didn’t get time to go on my computer to play games. I knew that I am going to have internet today when I reach home. So I stayed out late the whole day. After I came home I felt too tired to turn on the computer and go on msn. I thought I’ll check it out later. But as I was tired I forgot about my new computer and internet. I went straight to bed. When I woke up next morning my brother told me the new computer doesn’t work.

First I thought he was kidding but when I tried to turn it on, the boot menu showed error. I freaked out thinking that I messed up my computer playing game for 8 hours straight. Then I called my friend from whom I got the games. After he checked it, he said there is something wrong with the motherboard. I was upset the whole day. I didn’t have anything to do. My mom was angry on me so I didn’t go out or hangout with my friends. Later at night I was reading the article on computers when I noticed the word Trojan horse. First it seemed that it can’t be Trojan horse as I read the article. But by the end of the article the details seemed it can be the virus. So without thinking any more I downloaded kaspersky on my brother’s laptop. Next morning I went to my friends place to see if he had virus in his computer. First the antivirus took a long time to install then the software freezed every 5 minutes. After the computer was restarted for a couple of times the antivirus started working. It showed 28trojan horses and 52 other suspicious programs. I knew what was wrong with my computer.

Then finally I went home and installed windows 7 ultimate 64bit version which came with my computer. As soon as I finished installing the windows, I installed the antivirus kaspersky to see if the portable storage had any virus on it. After it finished searching for viruses the file FIFA autorun.exe was detected as a Trojan horse. It took 3days to figure out what might have caused this new computer crash though the reason was just a virus that I got from my friends computer.  

1 comment: